Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Ugh, really Emma

The babies made some big moves this weekend to some new positions.  Emma has unfortunately reversed her position and now has her head in my stomach, gallbladder and liver.  The result of this is mom is nauseated and has increased heart burn.  Here is a very crude drawing of their locations, it's killing me to post stick figures considering my profession but my tools are pretty limited on my laptop (Paint and a lap top finger pad...)
I think Miss Alex is making a play for the first baby out position.  Ethan better hold his ground.

The updated on everyone's health is still pretty good.  After Alex showed decreased diastolic flow last week on Friday we got put on daily sonograms and there was a lot of conversation about whether I should get my next round of steroids this week for delivery this week.  However, after 3 sonograms she seems to be holding fairly steady.

I just spoke at length with our OB about what conditions require delivery and what we can keep them in utero with.  If both girls keep their current situation, one with no diastolic flow and one with decreased, as long as they have weight gain every 2 weeks we can keep them gestating  If Alex develops no flow also we can still keep them in utero as long as there is weight gain.  The perinatologist said at 32 weeks with no diastolic flow in both babies he would recommend delivery.  I asked our OB about that because our baby measuring takes place at the end of our weeks so at the beginning of 32 we wouldn't have checked their growth yet.  I wanted to know if we could wait until the end of 32 weeks to measure them and then decide.  If they are still showing decent growth the OB agreed we could keep going.  If at any time we have reverse flow on any baby, or amniotic fluid starts to get too low on any baby or if anyone's HR starts showing a deceleration pattern then we deliver much sooner.  We would hope to decide to deliver and be able to push delivery off for 72 hours so we can get steroids on board first.  A much more immediate delivery is a possibility though with those problems.  Basically we take everything day by day but we know the criteria for delivery.

My contractions are still super manageable and make everyone happy.  They aren't dictating delivery at all right now.  Bed rest and eating are the only things I can do to help the babies keep growing.  The placenta degradation is dictating everything at this point.  I could be hooked up to an IV with an extra 1000 calories going in every day and it wouldn't help anything, the placenta is only letting through a certain amount and they feel I am eating all the calories I need.

Emma finally rolled over and we got the first picture of her face in 3 months!  So below are two sono pics from the morning showing Emma and Alex.  I think they look pretty similar, but how can one really tell with resolution this poor.

 Emma

Alex

PS-Ethan actually put on 5 oz in his last measurement.  I incorrectly calculated his weight gain.  The girls both put on 6oz and Ethan 5oz.  Yay!

2 comments:

  1. it's so good to hear things are going well and that you are being very well prepared for all the options! we're thinking and praying for you often! i love the tummy drawing!!! you are very creative! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! Love the drawings--very helpful:) Stay strong, Adrienne! You're amazing! Emma, Ethan, and Alex are lucky to have such a dedicated Mom:) You're in my prayers--Jenny

    ReplyDelete