Sunday, March 3, 2013

A year already and what a full year it was!

A friend asked me today if it feels like the babies first year flew by, and honestly, it doesn't.  There were some times that may have felt fast but mostly it felt either normal or slow.  It definitely didn't fly by.  I think the only time that stands out was the first 4 months when they weren't allowed or couldn't sleep through the night, that was slow.  Even with a night nanny we still had to cover some nights and we were tired!

So we started like this, day one.
Ethan 4lb  3oz
Alex 2lb 12oz
Emma 2lb 5oz
2 weeks old.  Alex on left, Ethan middle, Emma right in the striped blanket.

And just look at us now!!
Ethan, 11 months, 23lbs 15oz!
Alex, 11 months, 20lbs 6oz!
Emma, 11 months, 18lbs 6oz!
Our First Birthday!!
And Mom and Dad survived!!  Us at a company holiday party 2012.

We have so many people to thank for getting us through this first year!  First I want to thank my husband, who came to the hospital every day for 7 weeks to be with me, brought me food, did my laundry, slept on a miserable couch and got up every 2 hours to help me pump, cooks us dinner every night and provides for our suddenly large family.  Our parents who came initially and took care of us almost more than the babies.  My mom especially who barely slept for 2 or 3 weeks helping me take care of Ethan and Alex when they came home.  My sister Lacey who came right after they were born and took care of all of us while we were in the hospital.  

Our first night nanny Andrea who saved our lives.  I don't see how it is humanly possible to take care of triplets without help and she was amazing as our first help when the babies required special care.  Our second night nanny and current day nanny Ashley who we all love and makes our lives easier so we can have fun!  

An amazing group of women who came in the Spring and Summer to help me during the days; Julie, Teresa, Liz, Debbie, Cheryl, Carolynn, Rachel, Hannah, Julia, Kaitlyn and Whitney (please don't let me have forgotten anyone, if I did I am incredibly sorry and please believe I have triplet mommy brain, I forget a lot these days).  And my friends who helped in the fall, Katie and Lisa.  I can't thank everyone who helped us enough, you made our first year possible!

When people ask how we do it I usually respond that we are lucky, for triplets our babies are on the easier side.  They are VERY happy, always smiling and laughing.  They are rather patient babies, and man do they have to be!  They cry for reasons and I can solve the problem and they stop crying.  They love their schedules and are good about staying on them. They play well together or alone and entertain themselves well so mommy can get things done.  It isn't easy but it is manageable and for the most part enjoyable.  I really can't imagine the amount of time having only one baby is like.  I almost feel like I'd be bored.

I think we are all looking forward to year 2 and all the accomplishments that come with it.  We are all ready to start leaving the house and having adventures.  It's going to be a blast!!








1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love looking at these pictures and seeing how much the babies have grown! (And you and hubby look fabulous too, BTW!) YOU have done such a terrific job mothering these little ones. They are blessed to have you for their mamma. I think "how you do it" is also due to your willingness to sacrifice everything for their well-being. And you willingly and lovingly do that--every day. I'm so thoroughly impressed. Happy Birthday!

    PS Totally love their "triplet table"! Cool!!

    ReplyDelete